CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 10, 2007

An Interview with James Watt



Born on 19th of January, 1736, James Watt is by far one of the most important people of the Industrial Revolution. Without his famous invention, the steam engine, there would have not been an I.R until electricity would be discovered. That would be a huge delay!
Today on the 18th of August, 1989 at the age of 83, he has joined in an interview.

How was your childhood?
“I was born in Scotland. I barely went to school and most of the time my mother would home tutor me. I was great at math while I performed very poorly in language. At seventeen my mother died and my father was very ill. At this point I left to study in U.K and then it all started!”
Moving on, how did the idea of a steam powered engine come to your mind?
“Actually I had an instrument shop at the University of Glasgow. Through this, I got introduced to a professor called John Robinson and he became my friend. Then one day while he was showing me about steam, I thought it was a great source of power. So soon I was experimenting with steam power to make an engine.”
After that how many trails did it take you to get a working model?
“Ooh, I would say well over fifty. My first attempt was a huge failure. It barely worked, forget powering anything! After many failures, at last I had a working engine!”
And then?
“Don’t ask, it was like torture! I had the plans for the production of a full scale engine and formed a partnership with a friend of mine who owned an iron working company .But to my disappointment the workers at the factory were blacksmiths and could not produce the quality needed. The end product was far from desired and soon we got bankrupt. For the next eight whole years I had to take up employment as a surveyor. Then Matthew Button, the owner of a famous foundry, bought my patent rights and I formed a partnership with him. This time we got the golden taste of success finally. At first these engines were used to pump water out of mines but after some modification it was used power all sorts of machines in the Industrial revolution.”
After retirement what did you do?
“I couldn’t leave inventing so I continued that at my house. I made some machines like the steam mangle, a device for copying letters, and much more.”
You are considered an important and respectful person in the I.R. Your reaction?
“I think I deserved the fame and respect after all my hard work and struggles. Overall I am very satisfied with my life!”
Thank you for coming to our interview!
“It was my pleasure!”

0 comments: