CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dairy of James Watt

Dairy of James Watt

Date: January 16, 1867

Today was by far the worst day in my life. After all the effort I went through to acquire my patents and my partnership I have got bankrupt. I first came up with my first plan for a steam engine in 1865. Oh, that was a great day. Then I struggled to find capital to start the production of a full scale steam engine. When I managed to do that, yet another problem arose. The workers in John’s factory were more like blacksmiths than mechanics. They could not build to the preciseness required to produce a steam engine. The problem was with the piston and cylinder. Then there was a patent which cost me almost all my money. Now, I have none of it left.

I have been offered a job as a surveyor and the pay is very poor. Still it is the best job available. I have heard that there is a German architect who has figured a way to make precise drilling. If this is true then I can form another partnership with someone and build my steam engines again. That is if any one agrees to buy my patents

As for now I must work as a surveyor.

Date: March 27, !870

Work as a surveyor is very hard and boring. No one yet has offered to buy the patents for steam engine. Imagine how much more advanced factories would be with my improved steam engine. I am in total despair!

Date April 20, 1875

Today a great thing has happened. The owner of the Soho Foundry, Matthew Boulton, has offered to buy my patents. This means after eight painful years I can finally create my steam engine. Oh this is unbelievable!

0 comments: